Thursday, February 28, 2008

Blogger, Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn... Who has the TIME?

...Apparently I do! :) I got a MySpace page last year because I wanted to feel"hip"; then I was informed that MySpace is "out"; so I just got into Facebook. That thing is thoroughly confusing to me and not nearly as colorful and fun as MySpace, but really cool because I've found people I haven't seen or talked to in YEARS! But now people are telling me that I must get on LinkedIn, which... I don't have the strength! I like my little blog, and I like checking out other people's profiles on MySpace and Facebook, but honestly. I spend waaay too much time on all these things! But the Internet is so cool to re-connect with people. It's been a lot of fun to see what people are up to. Am I a stalker? I hope not! I guess if people put stuff up on the Internet, it's free game, right? But I have to confess something--- there are links of people on some of my friends' blogs that I check all the time, and I don't know them at all! Strangely, I'm so fascinated by other people's lives that I read in great detail about their kids, their jobs, their trips. Does that make me a weirdo!?!?!? I hope not! Is it because my life seems so pathetically boring? It's not, I swear! I love my life! I guess it's kind of like the whole "reality television" craze: I can't explain it, but I love watching other people!

Update: While I was writing this, my friend Jen just called me to say that SHE thinks Facebook sucks too! It's too confusing! :) I think I may just stick to MySpace and my own little Blogspot!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG. Me too, Karen. I feel exactly the same way. I spend a lot of time on this stuff. I have never even logged onto facebook though because I don't want to get hooked on something else. I did just get connected to LinkedIn, but I hardly spend time on it. Thanks for checking out my blog today! I love this new world of blogging! Cheers!

Suzette said...

Karen,
You just had the guts to say it. I spend way to much time on the computer. And I am a blog stalker. I get so mad when others are private and wont let me see. What are they trying to hide?
I've never seen your my-space page. But I love to post on my blog and I love being updated on my friends lives that I don't get to see all to often!!! So DON'T stop blogging. I love seeing cute Kate and what you guys are up to. In fact you should talk Lisa (your sis) to get one I'de love to see what she's up to as well :)

Unknown said...

First of all I'd just like to say I'm in the same boat you are. Blogger & Facebook (dang MySpace will NOT delete my page for the life of me). I LOVE FACEBOOK, though. I think it more fits my type A personality :-). I did make a LinkedIn but I NEVER check it.

And I used to blog-stalk, too (read strangers blogs). Until I was checking my statcounter and realized there were a lot of strangers in places I didn't know ANYONE who regularly checked my page. And then my coworker Waqas told me one day that his computer was hacked and he logged on and the guy went straight for the pictures folder and started making copies of everything he had, so Waqas the computer genius knew how to stop it. But he said (as a computer science major who knows infinitely more about comps than I do) that his cousin had her picture copied off her Myspace or something and the person Photoshopped it into porn -- and that there are a lot of people who do that with child pornography. So yes it may be a slight possibility, but I'll make my blog private just for that reason. :-)

Lindsey said...

Great post Karen. It made me laugh and it is SO true. Since we are on the topic, I have to admit that I have "lurked" on your friends' blog sites from time to time. I love to see darling kids and love to see how people "decorate" their blogs - i.e. background templates, etc. I hope your friends don't mind...maybe someday I'll introduce myself.