For many years of my professional life, I could honestly say I DREADED AND DISLIKED the months of February, May, July and November. Those of you in the "news biz" know that those are the dreaded "Sweeps months" where all the television stations pull out all the stops to get the big ratings, which are counted by Neilson. It's all about getting the biggest Sweeps numbers! I would honestly feel sick to my stomach sometimes when Sweeps were over, because it was always like a ticking time bomb to find out if my newscast did well in the ratings. But now, having been removed from the newsroom for almost three years, I look forward with GLEE to Sweeps! I can sit back and watch each of the local television stations' attempt to grab ratings with powerful "in depth" stories about fungus on your sink knobs, or a hidden-camera investigation on the dangers of trying on bathing suits in dressing rooms, etc. You get the idea. The more sensational the better for television news! I can honestly say I don't miss that part of my career whatsoever. It was a great experience, and I truly loved the time I worked in the "hustle and bustle" of a newsroom. But I'm totally fine with my normal 8-5 hours, my vacation days, my holidays off, and the comfort of watching breaking news from my living room, and not being called in for breaking news.
Sweeps to me now means all my favorite shows gearing up for their season finales! The networks are pulling out all the stops to have all their shows' finales during May. I hate to think of what comes after May--- the hum drum of summer programming. Lest you all think I'm shallow with no "real" hobbies, I'm definitely going to catch up on my reading during the summer! :) And I'm watching all these shows while working my butt off on my elliptical machine! So I'm accomplishing something after all! :)
3 comments:
Amen to all of this, sistah!!! Hope you're doing well!
That's too funny! I'm glad you get to finally enjoy this time now ;-) I do crack up at all the "exclusive" and "must watch" newscasts! ;-)
I LOVE NOT BEING IN NEWS!
Yay!
We have a life now!
Post a Comment