Monday, April 07, 2008

No More Excuses!

I am the happiest girl today! This weekend, I got an early Mother's Day present from Kate (and Mike), one I've been wanting for a LONG time! It's high time that I do something to get myself into shape, and even though I love running outside, it's just too bleeping hot here in the summer to do much running outdoors, even in the early a.m. I've been out of practice for a while now anyway, and I've discovered the joy of sleeping in 'till 5:30 or 6:00 when Mike gets up. So I've been faced with a dilemma for some time now: A gym membership? A personal trainer? Aerobics classes at UNLV? An elliptical or treadmill for at-home use? Knowing myself as well as I do, I quickly realized that unless the gym was located in my backyard, I'd rarely go, as it's tough enough for me to be separated from Kate as much as I am during the day, and the last thing I want to do after work is take her to yet another babysitter while I hit the gym! So that decision shot down the personal trainer option as well (not to mention $$ being a bit of a factor). So after much debate, I decided it best to bring the gym to me! :)

Okay, I know the stereotype of home gym equipment: the thing gets used for a few times, then ends up serving as a clothes hanger or dust collector. I vowed to Mike that I'd shoot that stereotype down! :) I don't want to be one of "those people" who get all gung-ho about a piece of exercise equipment, only to use it as storage later on down the road. I think I'm setting up a pretty good system. We bought the thing on Friday night. On Saturday we spent the entire day moving bookshelves out of our office and with the help of our neighbor, Ben, assembling the elliptical machine in the office. There's plenty of room in the office for Mike's desk, and a necessity for me when I'm working out... a TV! So I can spend half an hour or more a night working out while Mike does his homework after we put Kate to bed, and we can spend time together. I'm such a homebody anyway, I'd rather work out at home right now. Mike and I barely have time to see each other, so this should work out well. Famous last words, right? :) No, I'm SERIOUS! I may need some coaxing along the way, but this is seriously all about moving more and losing some weight before we try for baby #2. I don't want to be this heavy and trying to get pregnant. Not a good thing. That's a good incentive right? Also, I just want to feel better about myself. It seems like all my friends are skinny and looking great. I have not done myself any favors this year-- I've been pretty lazy. Time to change it up!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Karen we are so on the same page!!!! I have done a post yet, but I am at that same breaking point. I hate it! We set up the treadmill last night in the basement and thanks to mom....we hooked up a spare tv she had. I am set and actually am going down in a second. We need to have a contest! I seriously was going to post my progress on the blog to keep me motivated. We have a contest at work right now also to loose 10% of your body weight and you are in a drawing for $3000.00. That is a HUGE incentive....but the baby thing is the biggest! I can't do it like this, so the sooner I loose, the sooner I win the battle :) I will motivate you if you keep me motivated too :)
Love and miss you!

BKFW said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BKFW said...

(oops, sorry, I deleted my last comment by accident!)

Karen .. you are already a hottie mom who has it all!

But, I am still so jealous of you having this machine in your HOME! Dang, it's like you are a celeb now with your own personal gym in your house! ha ha

Can't wait for Baby #2. I am thinking: BOY, named Jerry Seinfeld Sharp! Think Mike will go for it?

HA HA!

Lisa said...

Good luck on working out!

Julie T. said...

Good for you Karen! I have always been very impressed with how you can wake up so early and go jogging! I am useless that early!

Sunflower Mama said...

I think that is awesome! I would love to get one of those. Okay sleeping in until 5:30 or 6?? What the heck? That is NOT sleeping in! You are so on the ball I know you'll do awesome!