Thursday, July 03, 2008

20 Years in the Making

I got tagged by Leslie R. How can I turn that down? :)

20 YEARS AGO: 1988
1. I turned 12 years old and it was my first year in Young Women.
2. I lived in Cedar City, Utah.
3. Our family took a 7 week vacation all around the country. We visited 15+ states, Washington, D.C., and 2 provinces in Canada.
4. It was the summer before I went into 7th grade and I had just gone to my first boy/girl party where we played "Spin the Bottle". And yes, I kissed two boys in the game! :)
5. My baby brother, Brian, was born amidst a ton of drama. My mom was in the final stages of toxemia, and had to be life-flighted to Salt Lake City. He was a preemie, but survived and now is serving a mission in the Philippines!

10 YEARS AGO: 1998
1. I was 22, and graduated from Southern Utah University with my bachelor's degree in broadcasting and political science. I was all primed and ready to start accepting television reporting offers and take the journalism world by storm!
2. I didn't get a job right away, and I was devastated. I entered what my family lovingly refers to as "Seinfeld Depression"--- where I would just hang out in my room and watch endless reruns of Seinfeld as a coping mechanism for lack of job, boyfriend, life in general.
3. I did actually have a job-- 2 of them, but they weren't what I wanted. I wanted to leave Cedar and live on my own. But I had fun being a disc jockey at a local radio station in Cedar City, and working as a reporter for the cable television station in town while living w/ my folks.
4. I served as 2nd counselor in my ward's Relief Society presidency and had such fun! It was there I met a lot of good friends, and spent the summer having a blast with them.
5. I spent a lot of time on the phone, searching for my "big break" in television. Alas, I finally got a great job in 1999 that took me to Idaho Falls, a decision that changed my life forever.

5 YEARS AGO: 2003
1. At age 27, Mike and I celebrated our one year anniversary by going on a cruise with my family.
2. I was still working in Idaho Falls, but we were making plans to move to Las Vegas that year.
3. We went to the Dixie Chicks concert (awesome) but had to sit through their political speeches (not awesome) and also ran into Mike's ex-girlfriend there (again, not awesome).
4. I got a job as a news producer in Las Vegas which was SO cool! So Mike and I packed up our meager belongings and with the help of our families, moved to Las Vegas. In August. 115 degrees. We had no idea what we were getting into!
5. We had Mike's friend, Darik, live with us for a couple of months in our apartment until his wife finished school. Ahh, good times! :)

3 YEARS AGO: 2005
1. At 29 years old, we celebrated our 3 year anniversary and also attended the weddings of my sis, Lisa, Mike's sis, Jenn, and my bro, Kevin.
2. We bought our second house and moved just about 2 miles away to where we currently reside. We found excellent renters for our little house and officially became "landlords".
3. In the fall of '05 I got pregnant with Kate! Such a fun time!!!
4. I changed jobs. I was a tad burned out on the whole television news producing thing, and an opportunity came open at UNLV for a public affairs specialist. I got the job and left television behind for good.
5. We became parents... of a sweet little cockapoo puppy named Kramer! We still love that little guy to death (p.s. today is his 3rd birthday!)

1 YEAR AGO: 2007
1. 31 years old. Celebrated birthday at the cabin with good friends, the Seamans.
2. Celebrated Kate's first birthday!
3. We took a wonderful trip to Idaho Falls to visit Mike's family where we went camping at their favorite place in the world, Henry's Lake. Kate experienced her first boat ride, among other "firsts" that trip.
4. Continued my quest to become a stay-at-home-mom by supporting Mike through his first "full-time" year of college. Only a couple more to go! :)
5. Changed callings in our ward: from Nursery leader to Mia Maid advisor.

SO FAR THIS YEAR:
1. Changed jobs. I left my post as a public affairs specialist at the central level at UNLV for a better paying position as a communications specialist for the College of Business at UNLV. It's a challenge and I'm not so sure about my qualifications some days, but I am extremely lucky to have this job!
2. Despite good intentions, did NOT lose baby weight I accrued two years prior. Now it's serious, as I hope to get pregnant again soon!
3. Mike was able to leave his job as an electrician for an "inside" job-- an intern with Nevada Power. One more step closer to his goal of being an electrical engineer.
4. Watched Kate grow from a wee little one to a fantastically entertaining toddler, who mimics everything we say (and I mean everything) and is the greatest joy to be around!
5. Enjoyed time with family and friends and are grateful we are able to have such wonderful people in our lives.

YESTERDAY:
1. What was yesterday, Wednesday? Oh yeah. I got up and went to work. Had lunch with my girlfriends and laughed and had a great time!
2. Took Kate to mutual last night and enjoyed a meeting with the other leaders. They are such great examples! Unfortunately, Kate wasn't as impressed, and I'm afraid she was a bit of a distraction.
3. Mike and I packed and did laundry for our trip this weekend.
4. Watched So You Think You Can Dance which is my FAVE summertime show!
5. Said prayers with Kate, which is the sweetest thing in the world!

TODAY:
1. Goodness how long is this survey? Okay, today I woke up early (5:20a.m.) and got ready and finished packing our stuff.
2. Laughed out loud all the way to work while listening to Adam Carolla on the radio. He had Joel McHale (The Soup) on his show and oh my gosh they were hilarious! Adam Carolla seriously has me in stitches all the time!
3. Had a meeting with my boss and another guy in the office. Not a lot of fun.
4. Wandered around Wal Mart at lunchtime and bought Kate some pajamas for her birthday (no that's not ALL she's getting!!!)
5. Spent the last 30 minutes filling out this survey! :) I'll probably finish it up and duck out of here early since I just saw my boss scooting toward the door!

TOMORROW:
1. Go to the 4th of July parade in Cedar City!
2. Take Kate to the park afterward where they have booths and carnival-type activities.
3. Escape the heat to the cabin and play with my family.
4. Read my Mary Higgins Clark mystery novel (all about sleep-walkers, which I can relate to on a personal level.... MIKE!)
5. Build a fire and cuddle close with my family and enjoy the holiday weekend.

NEXT YEAR: 2009
1. I really really really hope to have another baby next year!
2. Take a trip to So Cal with Kate. She needs to experience what every red-blooded American needs to experience: Disneyland in the summertime! :) Oh, and the beach!
3. Read more books, including the scriptures more often. Work on building my testimony.
4. Decorate our office.
5. Be happy at work and in my current situation.

Okay, that's it! That was so long. If anyone is still reading this, I tag Tara T., Lindsey V., and Suzette J!

6 comments:

Sunflower Mama said...

That's so fun to read! I remember you working at the tv station while I was there. I bet I see you tomorrow! We'll be there ;-) We need a break from this heat eh?

Our Happily Ever After said...

That was a pretty long survey, wasn't it? Fun stuff though! Hope you guys have a fun and safe 4th of July weekend. xoxo
p.s. Happy Birthday Kramer!!! :)

Paige and Jason said...

That was really fun to read, thanks. Im sorry I haven't responded to your comment about Bryce. This past week has kept me so busy I haven't had much down time. I am not the best one to be giving hinking tips as I only went hiking a few times (queens garden and navajo loop) but Darla was the hiking queen and would be able to give you a ton of good info. You can email her at weluv2stamp@sbcglobal.net. I hope you guys had a fun 4th in Cedar. It's to bad we weren't down south at the same time. I would love to see you again. Your little one is so stinkin' darling.
Paige

Jay and Camille said...

That was fun to read. I always enjoy "seeing" ok reading, what people have been doing in the past and lately. Good luck on the baby front!

Suzette said...

ok girl. Thanks for the tag. How do you remember these things? I can't remember a darn thing about being 12. Was I at this party? If I can remember anything that happend that's worth writing about I'll post it. If not don't be offended. I really don't know how you remember these things.

Taralee said...

I just got through the whole thing :) It IS long, but it's so interesting to read that kind of stuff about people! I was totally laughing when you said you relater personally to sleep walking. All I could think of was "folding the curtains" haha!!

I'll take you up on the tag, but I'm kind of stressing about it because I have probably the worst memory ON EARTH. I will really have to rack my brain to think of anything good for those time frames. Maybe it's a good thing you tagged me. I should be better about remembering my LIFE!