Monday, July 07, 2008

Cabin Time

Most of our 4th of July weekend was spent at the Petty Cabin on Cedar Mountain. By far one of my favorite places in the world, the cabin was built in the early 1960's by my Grandma and Grandpa Petty. It's been a retreat for our family for generations. And I'm so excited that we can share our love of the cabin with the next generation.
We enjoyed a lovely July 4th picnic on the patio. Kate was so excited to drink "woot-beew" (we're working on her "r" sounds) The weather was AWESOME! Just a touch of cool breeze made it absolutely wonderful.
We taught Kate one of our favorite games at the cabin... the marble game! My mother and her siblings played with this thing when they were kids, and I remember loving it when I was a child. She had such fun making "trains" of marbles.
Grandma, Kate and Kramer out for a walk in the beautiful mountains.
Kate, looking pensive at the creek where we stopped to throw rocks.
Mike and Kate. She wouldn't let go of his eyes for some reason! Look how beautiful the mountains are in the background. Ahhh, I love this place.
Saturday we had our friends from LV, the Seamans and their family up for some of the BEST dutch oven cooking I think I've ever had. I must pat myself and Mike on the back for really really yummy chicken and potatoes (our first time making them on our own). We had a great time in the hammock, until Mike and I BROKE IT! That's right: Mike and I are fatty-fatty-fat-fats and we actually BROKE the hammock. I'm so embarrassed! It's a wonder we didn't kill ourselves as we were both asleep in the hammock when we both fell smack down on our backs. Good times.
Mike, gearing up to do some serious dutch oven cooking.
Jill and Karen
Ben, Mike, and the kiddies.
My two sweeties.
Yay for Cabin Time!

5 comments:

Taralee said...

How fun! We were camping at Mt. Charleston for the 4th, but NEXT weekend we're heading up to our cabin and I'm excited. I LOVE the weather, the beauty and the peace! Glad you had a good time :)

Suzette said...

That is AWSOME about the Hammock. I wish you would of had a video of that :)!!!

Petty Family said...

I've only been to the cabin once, but I thought it was pretty great as well! A really nice quiet retreat place - and so cute. The hammock story is hilarious. Congrats on your dutch oven cooking. We went on a camp-out once where I really did myself proud with dutch oven roast and cherry-pineapple desert, but Frank joked that I spent the entire weekend preparing for dinner, eating dinner, and then cleaning up from dinner - which was pretty nearly true!

Sunflower Mama said...

It is beautiful up there. Congrats on your cooking! I love dutch oven! Still laughing at the broken hammock ;p Isn't family time the best time?

Paige and Jason said...

I love the mountains so much and I love cedar canyon. There is absolutly nothing better then being up in the mountains enjoying good food and family. Glad you guys had fun. Way to go on the dutch oven!!!