I told Jill I wouldn't post a blog about our camping trip, as the events that transpired were too painful to even laugh about right after the fact. But I think enough time has passed that we can post some of the pictures and hopefully laugh at the crazy time we had, and hope that our next trip (if there is one) will certainly be better than the last.
It all started out innocently enough. Jill and I decided that our husbands needed a nice, relaxing camping trip. So we packed our bags, tents, food, wood, etc. and headed to Mt. Charleston and a campground that came highly recommended to Jill. We found a great campsite and set up. The kids had a ball! They loved running around inside the tent and throwing rocks down the hill.
And of course, we let them eat all the junk they wanted. Kate drank like 3 of these root beers by herself!
Mike cooked our tin-foil dinners, which turned out to be really yummy!
Then we sat around the campfire and roasted marshmallows, talked and played with the kids.
See? A nice, relaxing camping trip for our little families. But then...
we all went to bed. And the WIND started up. This is wind like I've never experienced before. It flattened the tent numerous times. I'll hand it to the tent-makers: they sure can make a durable tent! That sucker didn't completely fall over, even though I expected it to. Amazingly the kids slept through this until about 1a.m. But then they awoke. Jill and I hadn't slept one single wink, and the guys, not so much either. So the kids woke up and ran around the tent, giggling every time the tent would blow down, and pop up again. It was SO noisy too!
Here's me, at 1:30a.m., getting slightly annoyed by the wind, but thinking it would die down any minute now.
Well it didn't. It continued to blow ALL. NIGHT. LONG. Somehow, Seth angelically fell back to sleep, and slept the rest of the night. Little Miss Kate however, did not! She decided the harsh wind and the loud noises it made was not so funny after all and she would NOT calm down. She screamed and cried and cried and screamed the rest of the night. Since we were sharing a tent with Ben & Jill & Seth, we tried everything we could to get her to calm down. Mike even took her into the truck for a while, but she was such a mess. By this time she was so exhausted she couldn't stop crying even if she wanted to. And we hadn't slept at all. It sucked! I've never been so frustrated! Finally at 6a.m., after Mike tried to build a fire and worried he'd burn the whole mountain down with the wind whipping about, we packed up and went home. And cooked our camp breakfast in the comfort of our own kitchen. It still tasted good and we didn't have to hold our plates down with rocks to keep them from blowing away.
All in all, not the funnest of camping outings. But we are grateful that our neighbors are forgiving souls, who still love Kate even after a night of fitful sleep and non-stop crying. We will probably not be going camping again anytime soon!
2 comments:
Oh Karen, Gotta love Camping. I absolutley Love the picture of you at the end. And Mikes glowing shoes. What a nice wife you are. Me unfortunatly being way outnumberd with boys is going to have to endure way to many unwated camping trips. My idea of Camping is staying in a hotel.
It's amazing how fun trips can be almost completely soured by a little one who cannot sleep. I feel your pain - baby Frank always has a very difficult time sleeping, especially when we travel. Being in Europe his Dad wants to go everywhere and do everything, but that doesn't always end up being enjoyable with little sleep! It looks like you enjoyed the rest of the campout at least!
Post a Comment