Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Spirit Anyone?

I'm getting more in the "Christmas spirit" but man, it's taking a lot for me this year! Why is it that I cannot seem to create the picturesque holiday ambiance? To coin a phrase from Jessie Spano of "Saved by the Bell", there's just NO time! I am sure that everyone else has their Christmas shopping completed, their cards in the mail, their house decorated to the nines, their neighbor gifts hand-made, and their holiday baking done. But not me! I'm trying, but it's like pulling teeth this year, and I can't quite figure it out.
But like I said, things are getting better. I'm slowly checking things off my "to do" list. I finally mailed gifts to Mike's family today. No Christmas cards this year (sorry everyone, you'll have to stop checking your mailbox with baited breath, 'cause it ain't happening this year!) And I found some adorable things for "Santa" to put in Kate's stocking. Like many of you, we're keeping it very low key this year in the gift department, but honestly, that's making it HARDER.
Anyway, a couple of things this week are helping me get in the Christmas mood. The weather, for one. It's SNOWING hard-core in Las Vegas as I write this. Gorgeous! But Mike just called to say it's sticking to the road, so that'll be a fun adventurous drive home! It's so pretty though, and of course that puts me in a great mood. Also, the Young Women took some goodies to a retirement home last night and sang Christmas carols to them. I normally hate that kind of activity, because when I was younger, old people freaked me out. But I was really touched by how much they loved our singing. They sang along and a couple of them even had tears in their eyes! It was such a treat to sing for them and give them a bit of holiday cheer. And of course, Kate was the star of the show. All the people at the retirement home kept fawning over how beautiful she is. And I was SO proud to be her mama! :) But singing songs to them just softened my grinchy heart and made me reflect on the season.
We leave next week for Christmas in Cedar City with the entire family (minus Brian). We get to talk to Elder Bri-guy on Christmas Eve, so we're really looking forward to that! And it'll be so fun to watch Kate on Christmas morning! She's at such a fun age. She is really curious about Santa and loves looking at Christmas lights. She had a brief scare at the Gift of Lights last weekend when a life-size snowman waved at her and freaked her out. She spent the rest of the night asking us if snowmen were scary! Poor thing.
So here are a couple of pictures from Thanksgiving in Idaho Falls. We met up with Mike's high school pals, Darik and Kurt and their awesome wives and daughters for dinner. Crazy how they've ALL had girls! The kiddos had a lot of fun together, and aren't they DARLING??? Pictured below: Ellie, Kate and Tamara. Here are the boyz: Darik, Kurt & Mike. Aside from a teese bit of hair loss (ahem, Mike!) they look the same as the day I met 'em.
Here's Darik and Mike with the cutie pie girls. Still great friends, after all these years!
That's all for now; I'm going to to watch the snow!

5 comments:

Tom said...

I'm so glad that singing songs softened your grinchy heart :) LOL

And I'm sure that everyone isn't as on top of it as you think. But if they are, then I like to think that they're the weird ones, not me haha! Actually I've had to get a little more on the ball lately and I'm finished getting Christmas for my kids. But remember, I have 4 little ones to worry about so I can't put it off like I could when I had 1 or 2. Everything else, I'm way behind if it makes you feel any better :)

Tom said...

Oops, it's Tara :)

jessi said...

I think that December comes and goes so quickly that it is hard to be on schedule with getting all of the gift buying and wrapping and giving done. And it is even more of a challenge when you are working full time, Karen! We aren't doing Christmas cards this year either. I figure that if I do a really nice job when I do them, I might be able to get away with doing them every other year!

Have a great Christmas in Cedar!

Suzette said...

Ryan and I were just talking about this last night. How we are bagging all the Christmas hoopla next year and giving the kids a trip to Disney World in Florida. We wont tell them and put the tickets in their stocking then leave Christmas day. Wont that be wonderful. I wont have to worry what to get and it will just be about enjoying eachothers company. Christmas is way to much about what we are getting and not who we are spending it with huh.
Oh by the way I got the boys stockings at Pottery barn kids. They are on sale now. Darling little girl ones with free shipping today. I wish I would have waited!!! Oh well.

Lindsey said...

As long as you're not taking DRUGS like Jessie Spano did I think everything will be ok.

"I'm so excited! I'm so excited! I'm so....(sobs)"

Ha. I love that show.