Monday, August 22, 2011

First Day of School

Family photo before leaving for school
 So, my eyes are still a little wet as I type this... 
my Kate is in kindergarten!!!
I have so much to say, but don't know how to put everything down.  So here are a bunch of pictures:
 At her school all the children meet in the cafeteria before the morning bell to wait for their teachers.  Kate was too nervous to sit on the stage alone so Dylan was happy to oblige.
Then Mike took a turn with her.  She was understandably overwhelmed and more than a little nervous by this point.  Her face tells it all.
 Kate's teacher is a sweet lady.  And I just realized I didn't get a picture with them together!  Ugh.  Chalk it up to first-time parent jitters or something.  Anyway, once they got to the classroom, things were looking better.  Kate found her locker and settled in to work on a first-day-of-school worksheet.
One more parting picture from the doorway, and we were off!
And I might have cried the entire way home... maybe.
~~~~~~~~~~
A few things about Kate's back-to-school experience:
The other day Mike and Kate had a talk about Priesthood blessings and Mike offered to give her one for the beginning of the school year.  At first she was apprehensive and told him she didn't want to do it, so he didn't push it.  But then yesterday she pulled him aside quietly (she didn't want me to hear for some reason) and asked him to give her a blessing.  It was quite possibly the most emotional thing I've witnessed in a long time.  Just before bed we went into her room.  And before Mike got in there she asked me, "So do I sit on my bed, or kneel down, or what?"  Haha.  It struck me as so funny!  Anyway, Mike sat her on a chair and offered a beautiful blessing.  I know it's not reverent, but I watched Kate the entire time.  She had her eyes shut tight with her arms folded and she just looked so grown up sitting there with her father's strong hands on her head.  I am so incredibly grateful for the power of the Priesthood and the fact that Mike is such an amazing dad.  She fell right to sleep after that blessing.
I, on the other hand, tossed and turned and had all those back-to-school dreams and woke feeling quite exhausted.  But we had a wonderful morning and everything went as well as I imagined.
I am so proud of Kate, for being brave (ish) at her big new school.  It's kind of intimidating walking in there as a five-year-old to a crowded lunch room with "big kids" up to sixth grade sitting there.  I was a little intimidated too, I'm not gonna lie. :)
Anyway, she's there.  And Mike is now at work, so it's just me and the Dyl.  We miss our Kate already!  3:15 p.m. better come quick!

7 comments:

Danielle said...

Now I'm really crying!! I am so proud of both of you! What a big day!!

Bobbi said...

That was really special to read. Kate looks so darn pretty and very grown up. I loved hearing about the blessing that Mike gave her. You guys are doing everything right, it seems. Good for you!

Derek and Lisa Larson said...

That is so sweet! I still picture her about Lydia's age (though of course I've seen her far more recently than that).
I can't wait to hear how her first day went!
And good job getting back on the blogging wagon. I know I'm not one who should be pointing fingers but your absence is always noticed by me :)

M. Harrison said...

We are so proud of you Kate! We hope that you love Kindergarten and make lots of new friends. Love you guys tons.

Artis said...

Oh........ so bittersweet. I remember, as if it were yesterday, your first day going off to kindergarten. Thanks for sharing this special time for Kate, and you guys, too!

Kim said...

Happy 1st Day, Kate! Karen, you are so awesome :)

Jaime Lynne said...

Awesome post. And Kate is gorgeous!

Congrats on #3. I recognize the look of pregnancy yuck in your eyes but only because I carried that look for 30 weeks. You still look amazing! And I am excited for your THIRD adventure.