Sunday, May 06, 2012

Plinked

Before
About three years ago, Kate asked me if she could get her ears "plinked" sometime.  At age two and a half, her word for getting her ears pierced made us laugh, and we told her that she could choose the time whenever she felt she was ready.
Over the past couple of years there have been times when she has talked about it, but always got a little scared and never wanted to go through with it.
But the last few weeks she has been more serious about it.  I've seen all the signs: she's been wearing stickers or hair clips on her ears pretending they're earrings, etc.  Most of her friends in her kindergarten class have their ears pierced, so I knew it was a matter of time.
All moms and dads have their own opinions of when/if this major event should happen for a girl.
I wasn't allowed to get mine pierced until I begged and begged and basically did it anyway without my parents' blessing at age 16 (Sorry Mom, I know you must have had your reasons.)
So I wanted to give Kate the power to make this decision all on her own when she was ready.
 Kate and I talked about it a lot; whether it hurt, how long she'd have the studs in, was she ready to be responsible to keep them clean, etc.
We decided to celebrate Cinco de Mayo by taking the plunge.  So off to Claire's in the mall we went!
After
 The Claire's girl was really cute and spent a lot of time showing Kate how to clean her ears and take care of her earrings.  She was such a brave girl.  She got a little teary after the first one, but held my hand during the second and voila!  Done in no time.
My camera battery died so these were taken with my non-iPhone phone so apologies for the blah quality. 
Kate is thrilled with the outcome and so are we.
We love our little grown-up girl!

4 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

How adorable!! She looks fantastic :)
It was a hard decision for Bella, too... :( poor girls! I'm glad she took the plunge, tho.

Derek and Lisa Larson said...

Oh my goodness! Such a big girl! Undoubtedly this will spark some interest in Lydia when she sees Kate's "plinked" ears but we haven't decided when to do that yet.

Nick said...

So Fun! She is such a big girl! :) I love that she calls them 'plinked!'

Danielle said...

LOVE!! how brave is she, seriously?