Thursday, February 01, 2007

Mother of the Year...

...or NOT! I'm the worst mother ever! This morning in my haste to get ready and out the door while making lunches, bottles, etc., I left Kate in her carseat on the couch (not strapped in) while I hurried to mix her cereal. All of a sudden I heard a thud, and I whipped around to see Kate face-planted on the floor! Of course she started wailing and shrieking in a wail and a shriek that only she can do. It scared me to death! I held her and made sure nothing was scratched, bruised or broken, and only then did I lose it! I kept sobbing and telling her how sorry I was. By this time she had stopped crying and was just staring at me, her lunatic mother, sobbing hysterically and saying "I'm so sorry!" over and over again. I didn't stop crying the entire drive to work, including a stop at Albertsons, where I got several curious looks by other shoppers. Tears continued to course down my face as I dropped her off at the preschool, so of course I had to explain to them why I was crying. I was worried they'd turn me in to social services! Poor little Kate--so helpless, and I let her fall down! I called Mike and cried to him for several minutes before he told me (wisely) to get over it! Kate was fine, I should not worry!

Well, after discussing this with several co-workers, I realized that they, too, have had instances where they unintentionally inflicted bodily harm to their children, and guess what? The kids are fine! Kate will be, too! I went to the preschool at lunch to check on her. She was sleeping (or so they told me; she could have been passed out from a concussion or something) so I didn't disturb her. I think she's mad at me for this morning! I hope she's okay tonight!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yep, those "bad mom moments" are the worst. one time when ellie was like 4 months old (still so tiny) i wasn't looking as I was strapping her in her car seat -- so I didn't see that she'd poked her little finger into the plastic harness/strap thing that clicks together. I was looking somewhere else as I tried to click it together, it wouldn't go so I pushed harder, until I heard ellie's earth-shattering cries! I'm suprised I didn't break her little finger in a million pieces. She'd forgotten it 5 minutes later, but I still feel bad to this day!

Lindsey said...

Yes, "Bad Mom Moments" are awful. I have had many in my short one year as a Mom, too.

At least you're not Britney Spears.