Wednesday, September 17, 2008

For real, we ARE blessed!

Okay, this is going to sound trite in light of my previous post, but I just want to say that I am truly grateful for my job right now. Many many of my former co-workers at my old television station got laid off today... some with very young babies, families, etc. I feel horrible for them and for this poo-yuck market that is causing all this grief. So no matter how much I moan and groan about having to go to work and leave Kate in preschool, I am thankful that I am gainfully employed, that Mike and I are able to make a living for ourselves and that we are able to provide for our daughter. My heart really goes out to my friends who lost their jobs today. I know that any minute the tide could turn and it could be me packing my office. So for today, I am thankful. And with that, I better get back to work, lest anyone get any silly ideas around here!!!

9 comments:

Willy The Prince said...

I hear you working sister! A blessing and a curse.

Every morning when I wake-up my conversation with my husband goes something like this.

me: "babe, can we retire yet?"
Will:"not yet cutie"
me: "how much longer?"
Willy: "at least a few years."
me: "not even in Mexico."
Willy: "nope"

Okay--not the same, but I understand the love/hate of the day-to-day at the desk.

So many people I who work in Finance are pretty much at wits end with all the Wall St. drama. I feel for them. My friend who is expecting a baby in Dec. (who's wife doesn't work) works at Merril Lynch and hopes he has insurance for the delivery.

Willy The Prince said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Willy The Prince said...

sorry for some reason this really long post went on twice so I had to delete.

Julie T. said...

Amen to that sister!! I can't believe how big a mess we are in- I pray that the economy can get turned around really fast. I too am thankful for all my blessings:)

Our Happily Ever After said...

Pretty crazy...and you know what's even crazier? Me giving my 2 weeks notice today. Yes, I am officially a full time stay-at-home mom. That is the most fulfilling job I can ever have. And even with this financial crisis happening, I still have faith that we will be okay...and for that...I am grateful.

Suzette said...

Ryan went through 8 lay offs at his last place of work. Luckily he survived all of them. But it made for alot of stress to where he felt he had to find a new job. Now being the new guy everytime they mention cuts we hold our breath. It's a scarry time.

Jaime Lynne said...

I read about this in Norm's column and I was shocked... and admittedly only a tiny bit relieved. That one person should have been gone long ago... and you know who I'm talking about, I hope. But what a blessing to still be employed and how I will miss some of those other faces and names.

Sunflower Mama said...

Isn't this just a hard time pretty much for everyone in one way or another? Ugh- it sucks. I feel terrible for those who are struggling with work and also feel blessed to have husband who's able to stay working esp. in his field! I had to laugh though when I scrolled down and read your seriously, so blessed post- then you write "For real, we are blessed!" that was too cute.

Nicole said...

We feel exactly the same way. We've definitely been led by God to be where we are, rather than on the chopping block of Channel 8. We've learned over and over again that if we listen to that higher power, life turns out so much better even if we don't understand why at the time. We're so glad you are where you are too and not JOBLESS!