Monday, March 09, 2009

Washington, D.C.

I'm back! And I had a great time! My work conference was... well... let's just say I am having a career crisis, because I really didn't enjoy much of it. But that's a topic for a whole other blog post. In any case, I had a ball with Kevin and Leslie once the conference was over! :)Friday night, we drove into the city for dinner at Capitol City, a really fun, energetic pub right across from the capitol.
That's Leslie, me, and my new (fake) Coach bag!
Saturday we went to the Smithsonian Museum of American History. I just had to get my picture taken with the "Puffy Shirt" from Seinfeld! Not a great pic, but here you go.
Leslie and I went through the First Ladies of the White House exhibit. This is Laura Bush's inaugural gown.
As close to the White House as we got
One of my favorite memorials on the Mall, the Korean War memorial
Kevin, Leslie, and "Honest Abe"
The view from atop the Lincoln memorial. The reflecting pools were drained for some reason, so I wasn't able to reenact my favorite scene from Forrest Gump!
Saturday night we ate dinner at a super packed (and LOUD) Mexican restaurant in Crystal City. I couldn't hear a thing, but the food was excellent!
Sunday was awesome! We went to Arlington National Cemetery. This is the view from where JFK is buried.
My favorite: the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers. It was overcast and quiet; a very solemn experience. I love America! :)
The final view of our nation's capitol before Kevin and Leslie drove me to the airport. We had such a great time! Can't wait to do it all again in May! :)

10 comments:

Derek and Lisa Larson said...

I'm so glad you had fun with Kevin and Leslie! I wish I could have been there with you all! :)

Nicole said...

Looks like a ball! And you look fantastic! I bet it's good to be back home now.

Babs said...

I'm so jealous...and so glad you are back. Call me for therapy on your career crisis.

Jolene said...

Karen those pictures brought back a lot of memories. Kurt and I took a road trip 2 summers ago and our first was Washington. We saw all those places we loved it. Been a whike since we've seen you and Mike.

Julie T. said...

Look at you skinny minnie! Looks like so much fun:)

Artis said...

I told you you'd love the Korean War memorial. It's one of my favorites. I only saw it at night and it was awesome! Looks interesting in the daylight as well.
How do you have time to just get back last night and have all this posted already?

Emily Petty said...

Looks like a great trip - too bad we're not still there and couldn't see you!

Anonymous said...

You will have a great time back out there in May...Tom and I where there last year at that time..And the reflection pools will actually have water in them then!
I am so jealous you got to go to the American History Museum though-It was closed when we where there. Looks like you had a great trip- Have fun when you go back w/ the family!

T&JCrawford said...

Karen, you are so beautiful!

M. Harrison said...

It looks like you had a great time! You look great in your pictures...good job!!! We'll see you soon!