Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Weather Report

Every year during July and August, Mike and I look at each other and ask ourselves, "Why in the HELL do we live on the freaking surface of the sun???" (Well, I say "hell." I've never known Mike to say a swear word ever in his whole life.) This is the sixth year we've asked ourselves this question. Last week temps were 110, 114, 115. You get the idea. Yesterday as I buckled Kate into her scorching car seat, carefully making sure the metal buckles didn't get anywhere near her bare skin, lest she be branded for life with the car seat logo, I asked myself again-- what in the world possesses us to continue living in this desert? In the back of my mind I know the answers to this question: UNLV and Mike's two little tiny semesters of school, our houses, this crapola economy which has stripped us of any equity in our houses, and the fact that I'd rather do pretty much anything than move a household. (Besides all that, I really do love Las Vegas, in October, November, December, January, and so on. And we have great friends here.)

But now today, a wee bit of relief! Storm clouds are covering our valley. Yay! Current temperature is 93 and dropping according to the weather experts at my old stomping ground, KLAS-TV.

What is it about dark looming clouds that makes my heart soar? I want it to rain and rain and rain some more!
P.S. My office has no windows. :( But I'm running out to the lobby every few minutes for a status check. Bring on the RAIN!!! Cool off this valley! Give me something to love about summers in Las Vegas!
Photo Courtesy of KLAS-TV.

4 comments:

M. Harrison said...

Oh I love the rain. There really is something seriously soothing about it. Today it only got 97 degrees here, but later this afternoon the wind started to pick up and it was getting a little cloudier here and my spirits just started to soar thinking that we would get a storm. Unfortunately no storm, but there is hope in the next few days. Hey, why don't we just move our families out to Seattle area together when we both find real jobs...great storms, great temps, fun things to do, water...

Kelly said...

Yeah, huge rainstorm last night around midnight. I sat on my balcony and read a book as my feet were misted with rain. It was like heaven.

p.s. You did a great job on Sunday!

Jaime Lynne said...

I ask myself the same question. I even use the word "hell." *GASP* I used to think the locals were dorks when they got so excited about a rain drop or two. Now I do the same thing.

~* The Hoskin Fam *~ said...

LOVE this post. Glad to hear you cooled down a bit. :0) I miss you and hope you have a super fun week.