If you're like me, you see types of signs like these all over and think very little about them. But my dear engineering husband has taken on the challenge of learning how to design, build and display one of his very own. It's all for his Senior Design Project, a task that every Electrical Engineering major at UNLV is required to complete before graduation. It's a really big deal. And Mike has put countless hours (and quite a bit of $$) into it.
So here's the gist of his project: Pictured below is just one of 30 LED panels that will make up an LED traffic display (similar the one pictured above). Mike designed them, built them and will have them on display for the Senior Design Competition in April. The final sign will be more than six feet wide and three feet high.
After the competition, there will be a big banquet and awards ceremony, with cash prizes! I truly think Mike's project is amazing and could totally win. And apparently his professors think so too; he's getting heaps of praise from them. (Of course Mike is too humble to admit that himself... that's why I'M writing this post!)
I think Mike should jump on here at some point and describe how he designed and built these things, as I wouldn't even begin to do it justice. Suffice it to say, it's been really fun watching him be so excited about a project. He's certainly muddled through his fair share of boring, tedious courses at UNLV, so it's nice to see his eyes light up as he talks about and works on this project.
I am SO proud of him! He has worked extremely hard these past several years.
We love you, Mike!!!
4 comments:
Um, what? How in the heck did he make those things? I am very impressed because my simple little mind could never. . .
Wow! Can't fathom how anyone understands and figures that stuff out. Magic marker and poster board, anyone? We're very proud of your accomplishments Mike! Look forward to seeing the project.
Yay for Mike! We'll be at graduation cheering wildly! I am SOOOO impressed - sounds like a winner to me!
We are so proud of you Mike. It's a great thing to be able to say that my brother is an engineer...that says a lot about your dedication and smarts. And way to go Karen and Kate, it takes a lot of support from you too, to make this dream of his come true!! Love you guys.
Post a Comment