Friday, June 11, 2010

A Special Place: Kate's home away from home

The day our Kate said goodbye to her friends at the UNLV Preschool was an emotional one. Not for her. For me. It's strange that I used to cry every morning when I dropped her off there because I desperately wanted to stay home with her and hated to leave her all day. Yet on Kate's last day (which incidentally was "Pajama Day"-- don't think I let my child go to school in her pjs on a regular basis) I cried because she wasn't going to be there anymore.
Kate grew up at this place. She's been a student there since she was just three months old. She's grown up with the same group of children and they were the best of pals. There's no doubt in my mind that she speaks as well as she does and is as smart as she is because of the interaction she had with other children and the constant learning environment the teachers provided.
Of course, I am still glad to have the opportunity to be home with her and Dylan. I look forward to teaching them in my own way. But I feel kind of intimidated and feel like I have big shoes to fill with the creativity and curriculum this school had.
The teachers were fabulous and I grew to love each and every one of them. They always greeted Kate with enthusiasm and always made her feel special.
Here are a few shots of her last day. Kate and her gang of gal-pals befriended this sweet little boy, Lucas, and were quite protective of him.
Kate and Ziya
Kate's BFF, Danica.
According to many reports, those two were nothing but trouble together. Some of you have heard how they were discussing Mike's private parts at the lunch table one day... remind me to tell that story later!
Kate and Miss Jennifer, the Ladybugs teacher. We miss her!
And finally, Kate and Chase. Chase is the "older" guy in Kate's life. He's the son of one of my dear friends, Jennifer, and has loved Kate for years. Chase was one class ahead of Kate and would spend some of his recess times showing off for her on the other side of the fence and making paper hearts for her. He's such a sweet boy. He gets that from his mama.

So here in Texas we are looking for a preschool that can sort of live up to the high standards we have from this preschool. Come fall, I would like Kate to attend some sort of preschool a couple of mornings a week to prepare her for kindergarten. But thanks to the UNLV Preschool, I'd say she's already quite prepared to walk into a kindergarten class.
Thanks, UNLV!

No comments: