Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Old Stomping Grounds Tour {Southern Utah}

We lost Mike on this leg of our little vacation. Boo! Mike had to fly back to Texas for work, so I took the children to Cedar City for a wonderful week and a half with my family. It didn't start out blissfully though; Mike and I both got so sick the day after we flew into Las Vegas. The flight home for him was awful. And my drive to Cedar City darn near killed me! I have never been so miserable. But once I got to Cedar, my awesome parents took over, tucked me into bed and cared for Kate and Dylan. Luckily the sickness was short-lived, so we still enjoyed our time.

One particularly beautiful day I took Kate and Dylan to Park Discovery. It's so adorable! And the red-rock amphitheater was too cute for words! We spent loads of time hanging around the house with family. And cousins! Dylan and Lydia were so cute together.
And just look at these two handsome guys!
I love my dad. He's such a great grandpa; Dylan melted his heart, I can tell.
And Uncle Derek wrapped Kate tightly around his finger with his iPad. Thanks a lot Derek! Kate now thinks she will get one from Santa if she just asks. Ooooh boy.
Sunday morning we attempted cousin pictures. This was the best we could get out of a 4 year old, a 15 month old and a 7 month old.
They're so dang cute!
We spent a lot of time on the Southern Utah University campus. It holds a very special place in my heart, as it is my alma mater, where my parents work, etc.
My dad invited me to be a guest speaker in his Mass Media class. I'm not sure if the students were captivated by my years of wisdom, but I certainly had fun! It just reminded me how I really do have a passion for broadcasting.

Then I took the kids to visit Mom in her office. She freaked because she thinks her office is messy. Don't worry, Mom!
Right behind Kate is the area of campus where Mike proposed to me, on December 29, 2001.
A whole lifetime ago. I wouldn't trade any of our adventures for the world!
SUU is home to the Utah Shakespearean Festival, a part of campus that has always been a favorite of mine. They put on tremendous plays during the summertime.

Yay, SUU! We had such nice walks around campus. We visited with my old sorority advisor, and a few other professors. The campus was so beautiful with its fall colors.
One afternoon we paid a visit to my "Great" Uncle Arlen and Aunt Catherine Grimshaw's house. They shared a delicious lunch and we had such a great time visiting with them, their adorable granddaughter, and with my Grandma Petty.
One more visit to Grandma Grady's work. Today was a nutrition lab, and Kate thought they needed to wear hairnets just like Grandma.
I wish I would have taken more pictures! While in Cedar, we celebrated my Grandma Grady's 89th birthday, met Brian's girlfriend, Leslie, saw Bri-guy in action as a waiter at I-HOP, made a Christmas wreath (I'm trying to explore my "crafty side" these days) and spent lots of time relaxing with family. It was great to be home. And aside from the fact that Dylan never once slept through the night (grrrrr!) it was a fantastic trip!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On the way back to Vegas for our flight, we had dinner with the Ruesch family. Shay is one of my bestest friends in the universe, and we had such a great time catching up with them.
Kate and Shaden had a "date" up in their theater room, watching Toy Story 3.
This is one of the few pictures I got of me and my sister! Love you, Lisa!
Me and the beautiful Ruesch girls. I love 'em to death.
And I must report that even though I was totally nervous to fly home with the two children by myself, it worked out great! I have the greatest friends (Barb) who helped me get to the airport in one piece. And we were lucky to sit by very understanding people.
And I soooo believe in tender mercies. I prayed and prayed that Dylan would sleep through the flight, and whatta you know? He dozed off sitting up the second we got on the plane!

So, with our big November vacation over, we are focusing (like everyone else) on Thanksgiving this week! I'm so excited to have it at Kevin and Leslie's home this year. I'm looking forward to making homemade rolls and our famous "unique" pumpkin pie and enjoying time with family.
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

2 comments:

M. Harrison said...

Great post about the trip. Sorry that you were blessed with sickness for coming to Braeden's blessing! :) Glad that the rest of the vacation was better though. We love you guys and hope that you have a GREAT thanksgiving. We are a big slip and slide here, so Thanksgiving proves to be interesting for traveling!

Derek and Lisa Larson said...

I want some of your pictures! It was so fun to see you guys!