I've been a mess of emotions all weekend.
The children who were killed in Connecticut were Kate's age.
First graders.
It tears my heart into tiny pieces thinking of that; and thinking about the selfless teachers who threw themselves between the gunman and the children in an effort to save those babies.
On Saturday we sat down with Kate and shared what happened at that school. We tried explaining it in a way she'd understand, which was difficult since none of it makes any sense.
The thing is, she seemed to understand.
Kate's school routinely does drills where they lock their classroom doors, hide and stay quiet.
I asked her why they did those drills, and she said "in case bad people come and try to hurt us."
Holy cow, the things these kids have to deal with is unbelievable.
It was a little bit eery dropping Kate off at school today.
The traffic cop who usually just sits in his police car making sure nobody cuts in line was out of his car today, in full uniform, gun visible.
It made me feel better. It was almost like he was sending a message to parents dropping their children off; that he'd make sure they were safe.
Then later, Dylan, Blake and I went to her school for lunch. I got so emotional while we sat there eating our lunches. I looked at the row of Kate's classmates... 20 of them actually, and could not even imagine the horror of what went down at that school.
I know that her teachers and principal are doing everything in their power to make the children feel safe today. I am just so sad for those who are grieving.
And so sad for the teachers who gave their lives protecting innocent children.
God help us all.

1 comment:
I cried for two day. Ryan and I had planned to go out for my birthday and all I could do is just be home with my children. When they came out of school I just grabbed them and started to sob. Now everytime I see the pictures of these sweet children I get emotional. What a sad sad day. On a happier note that picture of Kate is DARLING!!!
Post a Comment