Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Happy Birthday KATE!!!

Today is Kate's birthday! I can hardly believe it's been a whole year. I've been reflecting all morning about where we were this time last year... in the hospital getting ready for her to be born. What a great time that was! It was scary and stressful, but it was soooooo worth it!
Just a few hours old!
Mom and Kate's first picture together. She's just a few minutes old!
On July 17, 2006 my water broke while Mike and I were watching a thunderstorm outside. We raced to the hospital, where I had contractions all night. Ugh. Finally they gave me an epidural and by the next morning I was feeling great. However little Kate didn't seem to want to budge. Turns out, the umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck twice, and everytime she tried to come out, her heart-rate would drop. So around 11:30a.m. the doctors decided a c-section would be the best option. At that point I started freaking out. But thankfully Mike and my mom were there and helped me to be calm. And at noon on the dot, Miss Kate Marie Sharp was born, all 7 lbs. and 10 oz. of her. It was so surreal, watching them wrap her up, clean her off, etc. I couldn't believe that she was my baby! I have been in absolute love with her ever since. This year has been remarkable as we've learned how to be parents, and as we've fallen more and more in love with our beautiful little girl.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Karen! It's me Kasia! Has it really been a year since your babe was born? I just remember that Shay had to leave you because we were going to Girls Camp. She wanted to be there so badly. Your hair looks really long since I last saw it. I'm glad things are going great for you guys!

Lindsey said...

What a great story! I love Birth stories!

Happy Birthday Sweet Kate!!

Karen said...

Kasia! If you see this again, please tell me your blog address!

Anonymous said...

You can get Kasias blog address from my post, just click on it then get it from the address bar...ya know!! And how fun to see those pix. They grow quick huh?!!! Happy Birthday Kate, Love Brinley Halle and Sage

J. Berg said...

Hope Kate had fun eating her birthday cake! Hasn't she grown up in just one year's time? love, jessi, jacob, and abram

BKFW said...

I remember this day!! Seems like yesterday!

You were such a proud mama from the start and looked wonderful in the hospital!!!