So there we were... it was a scorching hot Friday afternoon, and Mike, Kate, Kramer and I were zooming out of Las Vegas in great anticipation of reaching cooler mountain temperatures. We were on our way to the cabin near Cedar City, so anxious to flee the city and the heat for a relaxing mountain weekend. I offered to drive because Mike was so sleepy, so I was just jamming along to some great music, making fabulous time I might add, when the freakin' car broke down! We were about 11 miles outside Mesquite. I of course freaked out! We were able to coast into Mesquite on fumes or sheer will or something, and pull to a stop at a Big O Tires. But it was Friday night, nothing was open.
Luckily we have the greatest friends in the world! Our pals Shay and Steve drove down from St. George to pick us up. They rescued our little stranded family and took us to get some dinner. Then we stayed the night at my wonderful sister's house in St. George. It was quite the exhausting day, trying to keep Kate occupied while we waited for a ride, and keep the dog hydrated in the heat, etc. The next morning Mike and Steve went back to Mesquite to get the car fixed, and on the way back, a semi-truck RAN MIKE OFF THE ROAD!!! It could have been a lot worse, but he was able to go into the center dirt and not flip over or anything. Ugh. A little bit of road rage ensued, with Mike chasing the semi driver down, offering a few choice hand gestures along the way, and Steve called and reported the semi driver. It was a mess! By the time he got back to St. George we figured we had a big black cloud over our heads and so we hunkered down at Lisa and Derek's house and didn't leave the rest of the weekend! We didn't dare get back out on the road for fear of what would happen! :) Anyway, we ended up having a fabulous time with them, and we are soooooo thankful to Shay and Steve and Lisa and Derek for being so wonderful to us! Yesterday we did make it home to Vegas in one piece. We'll have to get to the cabin another weekend, in another car! No more driving the P.O.S. Nissan out of town anymore! We are traveling to Idaho Falls at the end of this week, so hopefully we got all our bad luck sorted out before that long trip!
5 comments:
Oh my, what an eventful weekend... We're going to our cabin this weekend and I'm a little worried about it because we've been trying to set the date forever and everytime we set it...something comes up. I'm beginning to wonderful if Heavenly Father is saying...HELLO, I've set out several red flags along the way, and you're STILL planning on going. So we really need to be prayerful and make sure we should go :) Kinda funny reading yours when I was already worried about our coming up weekend get-away!
Oh yeah, about Cafe Rio. YES there's one in town. I could have sworn we had this conversation already. It's over across town. It takes about 25 min. to get there, but then it's well worth the drive, wouldn't you agree :) It's off Sahara (and you could go from the 215 to it.) We've been SEVERAL times since it's opened...we're crazy. In fact, I just went last Fri. You've got to go Karen...:)
uggh! that is really too bad to hear. I hope your trip to Idaho is so much fun to make up for it!
i hope you got my email. saturday works great just give us a call.
can't wait to see you in Idaho!!
Hey! How are Shay and Steve! They really are great aren't they? I know what you mean about 'coasting into Mesquite.' It's all down hill. I'm sorry about your crazy car troubles. But at least you got to report a bad truck driver. Those guys annoy me.
Post a Comment